Monday, March 29, 2021

Immortals Fenyx Rising - Gods and Monsters in An Open-World Game

Courtesy: Ubisoft

It's thanks to my finally buying a PS4 that this blog post on Immortals Fenyx Rising exists!


Hoi, allemaal! Ik ben de gamer_vrouw! (Hi, everyone! I'm the gamer_vrouw!)


First and foremost, I had managed to get a Playstation 4, so that I can play more video games (besides Nintendo Switch and PC). While I have created a list of games to try on the PS4, Ubisoft's Immortals Fenyx Rising was one of them. Yes, it took me two issues of Game Informer (Issues 331 and 332), along with the trailers and gameplay videos on YouTube to realize that I NEEDED to try out the game myself. 

At first glance, the game looked good, and sounded good. An open-world game with third-person combat, colorful graphics, and a story of epic proportions? I needed a break from Fortnite for a good while. Little did I know that I was going to get my money's worth with Immortals Fenyx Rising.

Upon getting a PS4, Immortals Fenyx Rising was (and is) the very first PS4 game that I've ever purchased in my life. The video game slid out of the Amazon packaging gracefully, as I held it in my hands. The video game box looked gorgeous in detail to where I could make out the drool coming out of the gaping mouth of the cyclops on the front cover. Upon opening the box, there was the game disc (which felt quite nostalgic to me, seeing that I had grown up with computer games, a Nintendo Gamecube and a PS2), which was a much-needed break from some of the games that I've bought digitally for the Switch.


*By the way, I was tempted to buy Immortals Fenyx Rising for the Switch, but wanted an excuse to buy a PS4.*


Once I had set up my PS4 (playing God of War beforehand), I pop in Immortals Fenyx Rising and boy, was I amazed!

The visuals were stunning up close - from the skies to the vegetation to the ruins of Greek temples. Despite not being as detailed as games like God of War, it was more serious in detail than, say, Fortnite.

Plus, while I'm not too crazy about the game's storyline (despite the comic narration from Prometheus, with constant commentary and interjections from Zeus), I'll give you the premise:

An evil titan named Typhon, who was locked away for conspiring against the Greek gods, is finally able to escape his prison, and take out his wrath on the human world. In his vengeance, Typhon manages to place a powerful curse on the other gods by locking away their essences in different parts of Olympus. As a last resort, seeing that many of the gods and heroes are under Typhon's curse, Zeus consults another god named Prometheus, who tells him the story of a mortal named Fenyx (much to Zeus's dismay of Prometheus's storytelling, in general).


Now, here's the interesting part...


When we first see Fenyx, players are tasked to customize the look, gender, and clothes of Fenyx. In my case, I wanted Fenyx to be a girl with short black hair, along with some scars on her face.


Now that Fenyx is established - no matter how you customize him or her - the story continues. Fenyx survives a shipwreck, and he (or she) learns that everyone on the island has been turned into stone by Typhon, including his (or her) brother. So, seeing that he (or she) must save his (or her) brother - along with other people on the island - Fenyx eventually enlists the help of the god Hermes (By the way, I won't spoil how Fenyx meets Hermes - You'll need to know some Greek mythology to be like "Oh! Okay, I get it!").


In this open-world game, Fenyx is tasked to free the other gods from Typhon's curse, and fight off Typhon's minions and creatures on the island. As you progress in the game, you'll be able to upgrade your gear, your weapons, your health and stamina, and so on (which you can do once you unlock the Hall of the Gods).



Plus, every so often, you'll be tasked to enter the Underworld through volcanic entrances. 

Now, the Underworld - which I had coined "Planet Underworld" - is interesting. 





Let's just say that if you're good with puzzles, and you have the patience to try and solve one, then Typhon's Underworld is the place to be. In my case, there were plenty of puzzles that took serious thought and patience to solve, which is a good thing, because that's what puzzles are supposed to do: make you think and have patience with what you're doing. For me, this was nothing new, since I've played iOS games like Fireproof Games' The Room series, which also had puzzles that made you think. Anyway, completing the courses and puzzles in the Underworld are mandatory, since they help you progress in the game, especially when your character is called upon to save the Greek gods.


So, that's all I have for you on the game SO FAR. All I can say now is that I want to play more of it. Believe it or not, there was a point where I had checked the saved game data in the "Save Options" menu, and it said, "12 hours" (almost 13!). 

(Well, by now, it grew to around 16 hours of gameplay. To be fair, I played four times within a week of having this game. So, I would say, I had spent at least 4 hours playing at different intervals within a week. That's crazy!) 

All I can say is that whether it says 12 or 16 hours of gameplay, I guarantee you that this game is addictive. 

From the open-world experience, to the gameplay itself, it's easy to get sucked in, and not put the controller down.



So, until next time ...

Ik ben de gamer_vrouw! (I'm the gamer_vrouw!)

Dag! (Bye!)

No comments:

Post a Comment